Thursday, November 24, 2016

Favorite Things

I love how fiber artists find inspiration and share their love of all the things through creative and enabling ways. I find great joy in sharing in the enthusiasm and in the interest of supporting others in our community I will share my enthusiasm with you and highlight some of my favorite things.
One of these things is fiber from HipStrings. Ever since I found her fiber I’ve been in love with the wonderful blends and colors. Recently I was browsing her site and saw she had a sampler of six fiber blends she was calling My Favorite Things Collection, each of them inspired by a line in that Sound of Music song. I was instantly charmed and curious to try out the luxury fibers before she put the full versions up for order.
When it arrived I can tell you I was absolutely smitten with this box from beginning to end and the presentation was unbeatable. In my hurry to unwrap it I didn’t get a picture but the brown box was tied with string. The inside lid is lined with the Lyrics and a printed note and in the box is six luxurious and beautiful bumps of fiber. Hidden underneath each bump was the colorway name and fiber content. Each blend is full of luxury and whimsy.

First was Cream Colored Ponies which has 66% Shetland Wool, 17% Tussah Silk, 17% Flax. The flax makes it feel a little course in the hand but it has a soft warmth and the silk lends it a subtle luster.

Next was Wild Geese that blends 37.5% Blue Faced Leicester, 37.5% Shetland Wool, 12.5% Manx Loaghtan Wool, 12.5% Flax. This is more substantial heartier blend with a richness to it. I love how the natural colors come together with such body and remind me of our beloved Canada Goose who invade our town twice a year on their commute between north and south.

This one is possibly my favorite favorite thing in this box. Blue Satin Sashes is 50% Superfine Merino Wool (18.5 micron), 25% Tussah Silk, 25% Mulberry Silk..The fiber is the ultimate of silky softness and the color is both vivid and subtle. Shades of disparate but complementary blues swirl with purples, blacks and neutrals. I can’t wait to see how this spins up.

Then came Warm Woolen Mittens, a 100% Corriedale Wool. Bouncy and squishy this fun brightly colored blend gets your attention and stands out among the more sophisticated colors. The shades are all over the place and I can see so many things that you could do with this fiber.

After that was Snowflakes that Stay which mixes 33% Superfine Merino Wool, 26% Merino Wool, 16.5% Tussah Silk, 16.5% Mulberry Silk, 7.5% Stellina.  It gleams, the Stellina adding a rainbow of barley there sparkles while the silk shines like pearls. Its a regal color that could adorn the classiest outfit but is not above having fun and playing princess dress up.

Finally is my other favorite Whiskers on Kittens the blend 75% Superfine Merino Wool (18.5 micron), 12.5% Tussah Silk, 12.5% Cashmere. Imagine snuggling with kittens and you don’t even come close to how soft and luxurious this blend is.Grey, white, black with subtle hits of brown are well blended but distinguishable throughout and create a complex depth of neutral color. It’s so hard to put this down.

To top it off she also included intricately crafted die-cut tags with the colorway names names and types printed and included a set of six black safety pin stich markers, each with a dainty sleigh bell attached. This set couldn’t get any better and I’m looking forward to trying out each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment