Friday, November 11, 2016

Welcome to my Fiber Scrapbook

A place to share my fiber adventures.

fallfiberadventrues

First, let me share a bit about my self. I’m an avid knitter, beginner spinner, lazy seamstress and long time fiber enthusiast. I was lucky enough to have two grandmothers who tried to teach me to knit, a mother and grandmother who were always sewing, an excellent 4-H club in my youth where I learned all things sheep, rabbits, sewing, basket weaving, etc., and I found Ravelry and the fantastic community of fellow fiber friend that live there. I’m a mom to one daughter, K, and partner to my supportive and loving significant other, both of whom are extremely craft-worth and appreciate my hand-crafted wears.

acrylicstash

I remember learning knitting early but I don’t think I completed anything and had to re-learn the basics in college. I still don’t think I completed any garments but I picked up a bunch of acrylic from my grandma thats still in my stash. I totally forgot what I learned for 6 years until I was pregnant with my daughter and picked it back up. I’ve been knitting regularly for 6 of the last 11 years.

firstyarnspinningcrazyness

I started getting interested in spinning after several years of watching the reenactors at a local event demonstrate drop spinning. I picked up a top whorl drop spindle kit there then got some fiber at the 2009 Shenandoah Valley Fiber Festival. I gave it try but it didn’t really click and now I know the combo of cheap fiber and heavy top whorl which is now my least favorite spindle type, really set me up for failure. I kept trying on and off for a few weeks and then put it away. 6 month ago, enabled by multiple podcasters who talked lovingly about their spinning and the desire to create my own yarn, I ordered a bottom whorl drop spindle kit and suddenly everything clicked. I went crazy spinning, learned a lot in a short time and now have 5 tubs of fiber and spin as much as I knit on a daily basis. Last week I started knitting my first shawl out of my own handspun and I couldn’t be happier.

IMG_0794 (2)

I have always been around home-sewn cloths and even made some of my own cloths in high school, including one incredibly tacky prom dress, and continue to sew clothes, practical items, Halloween costumes when I get the space and energy. I’m not hugely proficient since I don’t sew often enough to keep things current but my grandmother was amazing and I picked up a lot of technique from her and my mom that, when I make time to do it right, I remember I know how to do.  Otherwise, when sewing, I tend to break a lot of the “rules” and just go my own way, making things up as I go.

My plan is to use this space to record and share my various fiber adventures, things I love, and resources I find useful. I’ll post finished objects (FOs) and works in progress (WIPs) as I find time.  Thanks for reading and see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment